Two words that make adults fall to their knees: pop tarts. Throw in a homemade version, and well, you might be able to get a grown man (or woman) t0 give into any demand you put forth. Yes, pop tarts aren’t just for kids. Let your imagination run wild for the fillings, once you master this recipe for the dough.
Unlike other recipes that call for puff pastry or pie dough, this easy-to-make recipe is the real deal. It makes a crisp, cookie-like pastry, that most closely resembles store-bought pop tarts without all the unnecessary ingredients. Here’s my master recipe for Homemade Pop Tart Dough. Expect to see a lot more fun pop tart recipes in the months (and years) to come, starting with this recipe for Homemade Peach Pop Tarts.
Homemade Pop Tart Dough
- 1 1/3 cups 200 grams all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- ¼ cup 32 grams cornstarch
- ½ cup 60 grams Confectioner’s sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon 1 gram baking powder
- 4 tablespoons 56 grams cold butter, cut into 8 pieces
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons 90 ml cream
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, Confectioner’s sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to blend.
- Add the butter, and pulse 4 to 5 times until it forms a sandy-looking mixture with some pebble-size pieces.
- Pour in the cream. Pulse a few times, then process 30 to 60 seconds until it comes together in a rough ball.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured counter or cutting board. Gently knead a few times until it comes together into a smooth dough.
- At this point, you can wrap the dough, chill it up to 2 days, until ready to use (let it soften enough to roll if you choose to do so), or continue making these Peach Pop Tarts.