A little peek at Mother's Day 2011.
I slept until 10:30, but should confess that isn't reserved to just one day a year. The Mr. often lets me sleep in on Sundays. One of the secrets to almost 16 years together, at least once kids come into the picture.
I woke to the scent of fresh brewed French press coffee, blackberry bread pudding in the oven, and bacon in the skillet. Okay, I cheated and prepped the bread pudding the night before. I'm a control freak, and more than happy to admit my short comings.
I decided to extend the Mother's Day mood today. Virginia and I are still in our jammies, baking cakes to get ready for her and Isabella's birthday this week. Yes, we are being psuedo lazy bums, and gosh it feels good. Sometimes slowing down is what we need to really find balance.
Screw the floors and the bathroom. Scrubbing can wait for another day.
As for work, I surrender Monday's to motherhood. Work can have me back full-time when Virginia starts pre-k next year. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the next 52 Mondays where we get to spend a morning in the garden and afternoon curled up watching Little Bear.
While I'm in this mellow, playful mode, I figured what better time to press publish on a post I've been sitting on for a while now. So, here it goes. A few quirky tidbits about the gal behind the blog. Have a great Monday, and hope the sun is shining as bright where you are, as it is here in Brooklyn.
1. I like licorice. Twizzlers to be exact. The fancy kookaburra stuff is good, yes, but that doesn't remind of biting the ends off a strawberry twist to use as a straw when I was a kid.
2. My favorite flowers are daisies. Classic white ones, with a yellow button center. Lilies of the Valley, which happen to be blooming in the yard right now, run a close second.
3. I like ketchup on my hot dogs. I don't care what Dirty Harry says. Mustard is for sausages, not hotdogs in my book.
4. I sleep with an eye mask. It sounds more hollywood starlet than it sounds. Trust me.
5. I once gave myself a home perm. Okay maybe it was more than once. This could also be added to my list of 10 things Not to Do.
6. People often call me the Queen of D.I.Y.—they have no idea how true it is. I even do my own bikini wax. Yes, ouch, but thrifty girls do what they have to, right?
7. I slept with socks on until I was at least 10. I had a reccuring dream as a child that alligators were trying to nip at my toes, as I stood on a chair. In my child's mind, those socks were a special armor of sorts. Any dream analysts care to shed light on this for me?
9. When dirty Dancing finally came out on video tape—yeah, I'm that old, I used to keep a "score card" on the cover to track how many times I watched it. Last count I remember was 21, and pretty sure I just stopped counting after the first week.
10. I burned toast recently. No joke. I was at a friend's house, and left the kitchen to check in on the kids. When I returned, the kitchen was filled with smoke. It was humbling, to say the least.