No-Churn Maple Vanilla Ice Cream
- Scant cup (7 ounces / 207 ml) Sweetened Condensed Milk (use this recipe)
- ½ vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 1 cup (237 ml) heavy cream
- Unless you’re using individual containers, line one 8-inch loaf pans with a sheet of waxed paper, long enough to hang over the sides.
- Add the milk to a deep bowl.
- Place the vanilla bean halves on a cutting board. Using the tip of a paring knife, scrape the seeds from the pod. Add them to the bowl with the milk. Whisk to blend.
- Add the cream to a separate, clean deep bowl, and beat until stiff peaks form. You can do this using a hand mixer, stand mixer, or whisk if you’re up for a little upper arm workout.
- Scoop ⅓ of the whipped cream into the bowl with the condensed milk. Stir it in to loosen the mixture.
- Add the remaining whipped cream, and this time use a rubber spatula to fold it in. Folding, is a method where you insert you spatula into the center, gently lift, and fold the batter over itself, keeps the ice cream base light and airy.
- Spoon the ice cream batter into the prepared containers. Cover, and freeze until firm enough to scoop, about 6 hours. The ice cream will keep in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.