Twix Bar Brownies
- 6 ounces (168 grams) semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 stick (112 grams) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (50 grams) whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup (25 grams) cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) sea salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons (175 grams) granulated natural cane sugar
- 12 shortbread cookies (I used Lorna Doone cookies)
- ¼ cup (70 grams) caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cut a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan. Grease one side of the parchment, and fit it (ungreased side down) into the pan.
- Add the chocolate to a medium, microwave-safe bowl with the butter. Cook on high power in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each cycle, until the chocolate and butter are melted. Be careful not to burn the chocolate. The timing depends on the wattage of your microwave. Add the vanilla extract, and stir to combine; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, and salt.
- Add the eggs and sugar to a clean, large bowl. Whisk until they become thick and pale yellow, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the melted chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour mixture.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly to the sides. You can give the pan a tap on the counter to help it settle, too. Arrange the cookies in a single layer on top of the batter. Spread the caramel sauce on top of the cookies. Top with the remaining brownie batter, spreading to the edges to cover the caramel and cookies.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the center is set and the edges gently pull slightly away from the sides of the pan. Let cool completely before cutting.