Chickpea & Fennel Tartine
- ½ can of chickpeas, outer skins peeled
- 1 skinny stalk of fennel, stalks thinly sliced & fronds chopped
- Handful flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- Shaved Pecorino-Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon Basic Vinaigrette Dressing (recipe here)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more grilling bread
- Squeeze of fresh lemon
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 pieces of country bread
- Preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- Add the chickpeas to a deep bowl. Use the back of a fork, or a potato masher, to roughly smash them. Add the fennel, parsley, cheese, Vinaigrette, oil, and lemon juice. Stir to mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Let the salad sit for a few minutes while you prepare the bread.
- Brush both sides of the bread with a bit of olive oil. Place on the grill, and cook until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side another 1 to 2 minutes until toasted.
- Divide the chickpea & fennel salad on top of the grilled bread slices. Shave a few more pieces of cheese on top. Cut each slice in half, and serve immediately.