- ½ teaspoon cardamom (or 2 pods, crushed)
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, pounded (no need to peel)
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons black tea leaves (I use darjeeling)
- ⅔ cup sugar, or more to taste (feel free to sub with desired amount of maple syrup or omit sweetener)
- 4 cups milk, regular or non-dairy
- Combine spices and water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil. Add tea leaves and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Rest a fine mesh sieve atop a funnel over clean glass mason jars (or any jars available). Pour tea through sieve, filling jars halfway. Discard any remaining solids.
- Top jars off with milk. Allow to cool completely before storing in the fridge. Chai may be enjoyed cold or warmed over low heat in a small pot on the stovetop.