How to Make Pie Crust Using Cake Mix
This cookie-like pie crust is best for pudding and cream pies, or fresh fruit fillings that will be served unbaked.
- Butter, to grease pie tin
- 1 cup (140 grams) yellow cake mix
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8 or 9-inch pie tin.
- In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, egg yolk and water. Using a fork or your fingertips, stir until combined and crumbly (it should clump when squeezed). If mixture is too dry, stir in additional water 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Press cake mix mixture into the bottom and halfway up the sides of the prepared pie tin. Use a fork to poke lots of holes in the bottom and center (it puffs up as it bakes).
- Bake until crust is deep golden and set, 9–10 minutes.
- Let pie cool completely before filling.