King Arthur's Sourdough Waffles
- NIGHT BEFORE: overnight sponge
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sourdough starter, unfed/discard
- NEXT MORNING: waffle batter
- all of the overnight sponge
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- For the overnight sponge, preheat your waffle iron. Combine the starter, flour, sugar, and buttermilk in a large bowl. Stir to mix well. Cover and let rest at cool room temperature for about 8 to 12 hours, or overnight. Timing depends on the temperature of your home.
- The next morning, in a small, separate bowl, beat the eggs, and butter. Add to the overnight sponge along with the salt and baking soda. Stir to combine. The batter will bubble, remember sourdough is alive.
- Grease your waffle iron. Pour batter into it, and bake according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve waffles immediately.