Martha Stewart's Triple Layer Poundcake
- 2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons (252 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces, plus more for pan
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, whisked
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) whole milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (225 grams) sugar
- 1¾ cups (225 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons (6 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons (18 grams) Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 4 ounces (112 grams) semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. In another bowl, beat together sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt on low speed. Continue beating while adding butter until mixture is crumbly. Add half of milk mixture; beat on medium-high until fluffy, 1 minute. Add remaining milk mixture and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- In another large bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons cocoa into chocolate. Stir in 1½ cups (285 grams) batter. Spoon into prepared pan, smoothing top with a small offset spatula. Whisk remaining 1 tablespoon cocoa into another 1½ cups (285 grams) batter in bowl; spoon over dark-chocolate layer and smooth top. Spoon in remaining batter; smooth top.
- Bake until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour, 30 minutes (if top is browning too quickly, tent with foil). Let cool in pan 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and let cool completely, about 2 hours.