Classic Crumb Cake
- For the crumb topping
- ¾ cup (90 grams) flour
- 5 tablespoons (62 grams) granulated natural cane sugar
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) butter, melted
- For the cake batter
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon (150 grams) flour
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated natural sugar
- ¼ teapsoon (1 gram) sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons (8 grams) baking powder
- ½ cup (237 ml) milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar, to finish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Generously grease the sides and bottom of a 6-inch round pan. Add a bit of flour, and tip the pan from side to side until it’s well coated. Tap the pan to remove any excess flour.
- Prepare the crumb topping first. Add the flour, sugars, salt, and cinnamon to a deep bowl; whisk to combine. Using a fork, stir in the melted butter, making sure there are no dry bits of flour.
- To make the crumb cake batter, add the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder to a clean deep bowl. Whisk to blend.
- Add the milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir with a fork just until combined.
- Spoon into the prepared cake tin. Evenly sprinkle the crumb topping over the top, pressing it in gently so it sticks.
- Bake until golden brown, and a metal skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven. Set the tray on a wire rack, and allow cake to cool at least 30 minutes before serving. Sift some confectioners’ sugar over the top before serving, if desired.