Home Canned Pears in Light Syrup
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 9 Bartlett pears (average sized)
- ½ lemon
- Combine the water and sugar in a deep pot. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil if you plan to can these for long term storage.
- Meanwhile prep the pears. Fill a medium bowl with water, squeeze in the lemon, and add the rind to the bowl. Peel the pears, cut in half (or quarters if you prefer), and remove the center cores. Add them to bowl of lemon water as you prep each one.
- Once all prepped, transfer the pears from the lemon water to the pot of boiling sugar water (discard the lemon water). Cook for 5 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pears to sterilized, glass pint jars. Make sure they’re snug in the jar, gently packing them in without breaking the pears. Pour the sugar syrup over the pears. Seal, and process in a hot water bath for 15 to 20 minutes for long term storage, or let cool, and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.