Cherry Chocolate Ripple Gelato
- 1 pound (448 grams) sweet cherries, pitted & cut in half
- ½ (100 grams) cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 batch chilled Plain Base (recipe here)
- 2 ounces (56 grams) bittersweet chocolate, chopped & melted
- Combine the cherries, sugar, and lemon juice in a medium pot. Stir to combine, and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Place the pot over medium-low heat. Cook until the cherries start to soften, and the juices get thick and jammy, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl or container, and let cool completely (may be prepared a day or two in advance).
- Be sure to freeze the bowl of your ice cream maker one day in advance before proceeding to the next step.
- When ready to make the gelato, combine half of the plain base and half of the cherry jam in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well mixed. Whisk the puree into the remaining plain base.
- Pour into the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker. Churn for 20 minutes.
- Add the remaining cherry jam. Slowly drizzle in the melted chocolate. Churn for 5 minutes more. Transfer the ice cream to a container, cover, and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.