Ciao Bella Plain Gelato Base
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup sugar
- Combine the milk and cream in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until bubbles form around the edges, and the temperature reaches 170ºF.
- Meanwhile, add the egg yolks and sugar to a deep bowl. Whisk until the yolks become thick, airy and pale yellow.
- Slowly whisk in the hot milk mixture (do not rush this process, called tempering, or else your eggs will curdle). This is now your custard base.
- Pour the custard back into the pot. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard becomes just thick enough to lightly coat the back of the spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the custard through a sieve to strain out any bits.
- Fill a very deep bowl with ice and cold water. Nestle the bowl with the custard on top, and stir to quick cool the custard. Transfer to a glass jar, and chill overnight before using as a base to make your gelato.