Mini Mulberry Cornmeal Cakes
- 1 cup (140 grams) flour
- 6 tablespoons (67 grams) cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 8 tablespoons (112 grams) butter, softened
- ⅔ cup (133 grams) sugar
- Freshly grated zest of ½ lemon
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 100 grams fresh mulberries, stems removed
- Confectioners’ sugar, to dust (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour an 8-cup muffin tin.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk to blend.
- Beat the butter, sugar, and lemon zest in a small bowl until creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and milk to the bowl. Beat 30 seconds until blended. Gently stir in half of the mulberries.
- Divide the batter into the prepared muffin tin cups.
- Scatter an even amount of the remaining mulberries over each cup, and press them gently to stick into the batter.
- Bake 28 minutes, until golden around the edges, and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool at least 20 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired, before serving.