How To Make Candied Violets
Leaving the stems attached makes it easier to handle the violets before candying them.
- Freshly harvest violets, stems attached
- Lightly beaten egg white
- Caster sugar
- fine-tipped paint brush
- Spread the violets on a tray, and lightly mist with water. Set aside to dry for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Line a tray with waxed paper.
- Dip the paint brush in egg white, shaking off any excess. Working with one flower at a time, gently paint the egg white onto the front and back of each petal, also making sure to coat the center of the flower, too.
- Sprinkle on the sugar, gently shaking off any excess. Rest the violet on the lined baking sheet, and continue with the remaining flowers. Let the flowers sit out at in a cool, dry spot, until hardened, usually 2 to 3 days. Snip off the stems with a scissor, and store in an airtight, glass jar.