Simple Rhubarb Cake
- 3 stalks (250 grams) rhubarb, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 8 tablespoons (100 grams) sugar
- 3½ tablespoons (50 grams) butter, softened
- 1 egg
- Freshly grated zest of ¼ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup (95 grams) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Thick pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 6-inch cake tin with parchment long enough to cover up the sides to the top of the pan.
- Add the rhubarb to a small bowl, and toss with 3 tablespoons (35 grams) of sugar.
- In a separate small bowl, add the butter and beat until creamy, 30 seconds. Add the sugar, and beat until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the egg, lemon zest, and vanilla, Beat until fluffy and well mixed, 1 minute.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and milk. Beat on low until just mixed, then increase speed to high for 15 seconds.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Evenly spread the rhubarb on top. It'll seem like too much—don't worry. The batter rises over it as it bakes, enveloping the rhubarb.
- Bake for 1 hour, until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean of batter (there might be some sticky rhubarb-like jam on it). Let the cake cool completely before cutting, preferably all day, or overnight.