- 4 slices (74g) bacon, diced (1 tbs olive oil if not using bacon)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 large carrots, sliced into coins
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable broth
- 1 small bunch lacinato kale, ribs removed & leaves torn into pieces
- 1 can (15-ounces/425 grams) white beans (1 ¾ cups)
- I can (14-ounces/400 grams) diced tomatoes
- 2-inch piece (116g) of Parmesan Rind
- 2-inch piece (63g) of French Bread, torn into bite size pieces
- Add the bacon to a medium pot over medium-high heat. Sauté until browned and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Add the garlic, carrots, celery, and onion to the bacon drippings in the pot. Sauté until slightly softened.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, cheese rind, diced tomatoes and bacon. Bring to a boil then reduce to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add white beans and kale. Stir. Cover the pot, and cook for 10 minutes. Add the bread cubes, and let stand off the heat a few minutes so the bread can soak up the soup a bit. Be sure to remove & discard the cheese rind before serving.