Homemade Cherry Pop Tarts
- One batch Homemade Pop Tart Dough (recipe here)
- All-purpose flour, for rolling out the dough
- ¼ cup Cherry Jam (Recipe for Sour Cherry Jam is here)
- ¾ cup (90 grams) Confectioner’s sugar (also called icing or powdered sugar)
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line an 11-inch by 17-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the dough on a generously floured counter or cutting board. Sprinkle more flour on top. Roll the dough out to ⅛-inch to 1/16-inch thickness, making sure to lift it off the board every few rolls to ensure it’s not sticking (add more flour as needed). You should have a rectangle about 22-inches by 11-inches when done. Trim any rough edges with a knife or pizza cutter (pro-tip!). Cut the rectangle into 12 even-sized rectangles.
- Place half the pastry pieces on the prepared pan. Spoon 2 teaspoons of jam into the center. Spread the jam out, leaving a ½-inch border. Cover each pastry with one of the remaining plain pieces of pastry. Use a fork to crimp the edges closed. Use a pizza wheel or pastry cutter if you want a really neat edge.
- Bake until crisp and golden around the edges, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (take care as they will be delicate when first out of the oven).
- Add the Confectioner’s sugar to a small, deep bowl with 4 to 6 teaspoons of cold water. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled tarts, or spread it on with an offset spatula. Decorate with sprinkles as desired. Let the icing set for at least 30 minutes before serving.