Summer Peach Cake
- 3 egg whites (save yolks for a later use)
- Pinch of salt
- 120 grams (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons) granulated natural cane sugar
- 60 grams (4 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 60 grams (6 tablespoons) flour
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large, whole peach, cut into 8 slices
- Confectioners’ sugar, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Grease the sides of an 8-inch (20-cm) springform pan with butter. Flour lightly. Line the bottom with a sheet of parchment (cut it to fit if not using precut round sheets).
- Add the egg whites and salt to a medium bowl. Beat on medium-high until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to a clean, medium bowl. Beat until fluffy and well mixed.
- Add the flour and almond extract. Beat until just combined. Stir in a third of the beaten egg whites.
- Gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange the peach slices on the top in a swirl pattern.
- Bake 32 to 35 minutes, until puffed, golden, and cake springs back when tapped in the center. Remove from oven, and let cool completely on a wire rack before serving. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.