Amelia's Sponge Cake (Pan di Spagna)
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) natural cane sugar
- Splash of almond extract
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) flour
- Freshly grated zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 330ºF (165ºC). Line an 8.5-inch by 4.5-inch (22-cm by 11-cm) loaf pan with a sheet of parchment paper long enough to hang over the sides so it can act as a sling to remove the finished cake.
- Add the eggs, sugar & extract to a mixing bowl, and beat until extremely light, airy & tripled in volume.
- While the eggs & sugar are whipping, combine the flour and zest in a bowl. Whisk to blend.
- Scatter half the flour over the egg mixture, and use a wooden spoon or spatula to gently fold it in. Repeat with the remaining flour.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes, until nicely golden, and the top springs back when gently tapped with your finger.
- Set the pan, upside down, on a wire rack, and let cool completely before cutting.