Chickpea, Coconut & Butternut Squash Stew
Adapted from Nigel Slater’s recipe for Chickpeas with pumpkin, lemongrass & cilantro
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated or chopped fine
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen butternut squash
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 limes
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger, and sauté until fragrant, 60 to 90 seconds.
- Add the squash, bay leaf, coriander, turmeric, cumin, and enough water to the pot to cover the squash. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook until the squash is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, coconut milk, and red pepper flakes. Simmer 10 minutes more.
- Ladle the stew into bowls, and serve with a squeeze of fresh lime.