Lemon, Honey & Olive Oil Cake
- Lemon, Honey & Olive Oil Cake
- Makes one 9-inch cake
- 1⅔ cups (250 grams) flour, plus more to dust pan
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- Freshly grated zest of 2 lemons
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) + a pinch of fleur de del
- 3 large eggs, separated & at room temperature
- ½ cup (160 grams) churned honey
- ½ cup (125ml / 90 grams) extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly squeezed juice of 2 lemons (100ml)
- ½ cup (125ml / 120 grams) milk
- Confectioners’ sugar, to dust the cake (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat the sides and bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan with butter. Lightly dust with flour, and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the egg whites to a deep bowl. Beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, honey, olive oil and lemon juice together until well blended. Add the flour mixture and pour in the milk, stirring with a wooden spoon until just combine.
- Stir in a third of the whipped egg whites to loosen the batter. Fold in the remaining egg whites until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes, until the edges are deep golden and a metal skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let it cool completely. It'll settle a little as it cools, so don't worry. Before serving, dust with the Confectioners’ sugar, if desired.