How to Pre-Bake a Pie Crust
- 1 single pie crust
- Parchment paper
- Uncooked rice, dry beans, or a combination of both
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Roll the dough out into an 11-inch circle. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Fold the edges under a bit to form a neat finish. Design the edges as you like—fluted, or simply crimped with the tips of a fork.
- Place a long sheet of parchment into the center of the crust. Fill with the rice or beans.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the parchment and filling, but save them for the future (I keep mine in a container, along with the parchment for pre-baking future crusts).
- Use the tip of a fork to pierce holes on the bottom and sides of the crust. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes more, until the crust is golden. Let cool for at 10 minutes, and up to 2 hours, before moving onto the next step in your recipe.