Buckwheat Banana Bread
Makes two 8-inch loaves
Music Pairing: Heatwave by Martha & The Vandellas
- 1 cup (200 grams) brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150 grams) 00 flour
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) buckwheat flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (112 grams) butter, melted
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed (340 grams)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line two 8-inch by 4-inch by 2-inch loaf pans with a piece of parchment long enough to hang over the sides (this helps to lift the cake out of the pan easily).
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat with a whisk until well combined.
- Add the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula just long enough until blended, and there are no visible signs of flour in the batter.
- Fold the butter and bananas into the batter.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake 40 minutes, until a metal skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Set the pans on a wire rack, and let cool for at least one hour before slicing. The cake will stay fresh, wrapped tightly in parchment paper, for up to three days.