Makes 16 mini cannoli
Music Pairing: I Want You by Bob Dylan
1 cup (238 grams) ricotta cheese (and yes, of course I made the ricotta!)
1/4 cup (56 grams) mascarpone cheese
Zest of 1/2 an orange
3/4 cup (103 grams) confectioner’s sugar, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
Mini chocolate chips, optional
16 mini cannoli shells
1. Add the ricotta, mascarpone, and orange zest to a medium bowl. Whisk until well-mixed.
2. Add the confectioner’s sugar. Whisk until well-blended, and there are no visible signs of sugar.
3. In a clean medium bowl, beat the cream until stiff peaks form, and it looks like whipped cream (be careful not to over beat, or it’ll turn into butter). You can do this with a hand mixer if you prefer, but for an amount this small, I just whisk it by hand (it only takes a few minutes; just be sure to use a deep enough bowl so you have room to whisk it vigorously).
4. Add the whipped cream to the ricotta cheese mixture. Gently fold in until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips, if using. Cover the filling, and refrigerate for at least one hour, and preferably overnight. The filling will stay fresh for up to two days; just give a stir before using.
5. Spoon the filling into a pastry bag, or a large ziptop bag (snip a corner off the bag, to squeeze out the filling). Place the tip of the bag into one end of a cannoli shell. Squeeze in just enough filling for it to reach the center of the shell. Do the same on the opposite end to finish filling the cannoli. Repeat with the remaining shells. Use a strainer to dust some confectioner’s sugar over the top of the cannolis before serving.